Radial Tonebone Classic NOS from 2014
American guitar tradition. The natural distortion of the original Bassman, the sweet-spot of a Vintage Tweed, to those hot-rod amp tones that that smoke the blues and whistle Dixie all night long. They're are all in the Classic.
Radial Tonebone Classic at a Glance:
- Vintage overdrive distortion pedal with variable overdrive.
- Drive and level controls
- Post distortion EQ for maximum flexibilty.
- Mid-Boost switch to fatten up single coil pickups.
The Tonebone Classic is an extremely flexible distortion pedal. With three drive settings and a variable drive control, you can dial in everything from dirt to drastic and everywhere in between. The Tonebone Classic's design is based on vintage overdrive sounds that started in the 1960's and 1970's and today remain some of the most sought after tones. The Classic is exceptionally dynamic and transparent and as such, is extremely adept at retaining your playing style and signature. Even at high distortion settings, you can turn your guitar level down and the Classic cleans up naturally and without the noise, hum or buzz that is common with most other pedals. At higher settings, every note remains distinct and the natural tone of the instrument shines through.
Drive and Level Controls
The Tonebone Classic design follows the way a guitar amplifier works whereby the input DRIVE is akin to the input channel volume, while the LEVEL control acts more like a master volume control.
As such, the DRIVE control provides overall input gain to the distortion circuit. This works in conjunction with the 3-position DRIVE switch that controls low, mid or high distortion range settings. At low settings, the Classic creates lighter rock & roll tones like the sounds you would hear from Keith Richards or the cleaner side of Hendrix. In the mid-distortion range, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Clapton type tones come alive. At the higher distortion settings, Eddie Van Halen to Eric Johnson type solo tones can be created while big chunky rhythm tones from Boston to ZZ Top to Deep Purple are also easily attained.
Equalization and Tonal Structure
The Tonebone Classic employs active post-distortion equalization for maximum flexibility. Tone shaping is performed with three controls and two switches thus allowing the guitarist to dial in the type of tonal structure that may be desired.
HIGH and LOW equalization are extremely active providing up to 15dB of gain control. These work in conjunction with the TOP-END and MID-BOOST controls. Overall shaping begins with the TOP-END control with choice of Dark, Normal or Bright settings which are used to compensate for the tonal characteristics of the amplifier. The FILTER control overlaps the high-end with a subtle roll-off to further compensate for overly bright amplifiers.
The MID-BOOST switch is used to fatten-up single coil pick-ups or to add 'meat' to the tone for additional cut during soloing. The Classic's mid-range frequencies have been carefully selected to work with popular amplifiers like Twins and Marshalls. These settings are extremely effective at compensating for 'clean' oriented channels on classic tube amplifiers.
Radial Tonebone Classic Features:
- LEVEL control: Used to balance the output level between the input drive without altering any of the tonal characteristics. Works somewhat like a master volume on an amplifier.
- HIGH & LOW controls: Post distortion active tone controls that boost or cut from 12 o'clock position Low:+/- 14.5dB @ 100Hz, High:+/- 10dB @ 4.3kHz.
- FILTER control:Balances the ratio of high frequencies between amplifier and Classic distortion to compensate for overly bright amplifiers.
- DRIVE control: Used in conjunction with the drive gain switch, drive is used to adjust the overall amount of gain to the overdrive circuit.
- TOP END switch: Switch sets the overall tonal character of the Classic to best match the amp and settings. Brighter amps are normally compensated with darker settings. Bright:Boosts +6dB @ 10kHz; Flat:No boost; Dark: Cuts -6dB @ 1.8kHz.
- MID BOOST switch:Used to fatten up the sound for more cut and sustain during solos. Also, will fatten up the sound of single coil pick-ups.
- High:Boosts +12dB @ 620Hz; Medium:Boosts +6dB @ 390Hz; Bypass:No boost.
- DRIVE switch: Used in conjunction with the drive gain control. Drive switch selects the gain range of the overdrive circuit.
- Tube:Standard 12AX7 vacuum tube inside is used in distortion stage to accentuate upper harmonics and warmth.
- Distortion:Proprietary tube hybrid distortion circuit. Wide range of distortion settings may be derived.
- Footswitch:True by-pass with red in/out status LED.
- Power Supply:15VDC adapter (110V standard - export models available) - Included.
- Construction:14 gauge steel construction with baked enamel coat.
- Standard package:Includes power supply, rubber stick-on feet, owner's manual.